Pairing Toronto area beer writers with professional breweries, Barrel Bragging Rights was the big kick-off event at last year’s Toronto Beer Week. And what an event it was! The place was absolutely packed. The Monk’s Table owner Adam Grant had to turn people away. Who knew the event would be so popular?
Michael Warner at A Year of Beer!, who also happens to be the brains behind the competition, announced this morning that the second annual Barrel Bragging Rights extravaganza will be taking place on September 14th, once again at The Monk’s Table. My new location prevents me from participating in this year’s competition or attending to see who takes home the coveted first prize, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on it to see what happens (and wishing I had a way to join in).
For those of you in the Toronto area, make sure to mark it on your calendars now and show up early to join the line. The beers last year ran the gamut of styles (or in the case my entry with Cameron’s, not-in-style), and they were all well worth drinking. After smack-talkin’ Chris Grimley walked away with the trophy, I’m sure everyone will make sure to bring their A-game this year.
Participants for 2012 include:
- Matt Caldwell (One Beer At A Time) with Steam Whistle Brewing
- Chris Grimley (Beer With Me TO) with Great Lakes Brewery
- Crystal Luxmore (The Grid) with Granite Brewery
- Josh Rubin (The Toronto Star) with Black Oak Brewing
- Chris Schryer (Toronto Beer Blog) with Cheshire Valley Brewing
- Jordan St. John (Saint John’s Wort and QMI) with Beau’s All Natural Brewing
- Michael Warner (A Year of Beer!) with Amsterdam Brewing
The rules have changed slightly. It’s no longer a blind ballot of people’s choice votes, but instead the winner will be chosen by a three-person panel that includes beer writer Stephen Beaumont.
Things get going at 5:00 pm on the 14th. Good luck to all the writers and brewers.